I truly hope you are enjoying this holiday season alongside your loved ones! I recently celebrated my first holiday in Spain, and although it was tough being away from my family, the Lord definitely did a new thing in my heart and in my baking skills!
As one of the few Americans at church here, I was asked to bake an apple pie for the church’s Thanksgiving dinner. We were low on pies for the dinner, so after being encouraged, I nervously accepted the baking challenge. For many, baking a pie may not be a big deal but when the extent of your baking skills is following instructions on boxed cake mixes, it can be a pretty daunting task! I had friends and family pray for this pie, and by God’s grace it turned out pretty good!!
As the Lord would have it, I learned a beautiful lesson from baking the apple pie!
I learned that I need to be bold enough to change my perspective about those things that may seem daunting and intimidating to me. Like Elisha, I need to pray for the Lord to “open my eyes” and to “let me see” what they really look like through His perspective.
“When the servant of the man of God got up early the next morning and went outside, there were troops, horses, and chariots everywhere. ‘Oh, sir, what will we do now?’, the young man cried to Elisha. ‘Don’t be afraid!’, Elisha told him. ‘For there are more on our side than on theirs!’ Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!’ The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.”(2 Kings 6:15-17)
As the school project team and I are moving forward to getting the Christian school started, there is so much research and so many questions, requirements, and decisions still left to make. Fear and doubt can easily take over and fog our perspective on what God has called us to do. This vision is definitely not for the faint-hearted so we have committed to press on and continually ask the Lord to “let us see”.
I had the blessing to travel with Loretta, Pastor Raf’s wife, to Fuengirola (near Malaga in mainland Spain). We went to visit an established Christian school to glean from their experience. We had many divine intervention moments as we were connected to other people involved in Christian education in Spain. We had an appointment to interview the school’s director and she supplied us with valuable information and great tips as well. This trip was very encouraging and inspiring!
In these last few months, we have been scouting out various potential school locations and have spoken to many building landlords and landowners. We have also met with the city mayor and other town councilmembers to ask for permitted locations for schools. There is another location within the same area of the church, not pictured here, that we are really looking into and praying over. We are trusting in the Lord for His wisdom and discernment for such a big decision! Please help us pray for this!
“Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading.” – Oswald Chambers
Feliz Navidad Desde España
I have learned that part of the process of adapting to life in a new country is making my new house feel like home. So here are a few pics of some Christmas hints throughout my tiny flat…
Thank you for all your prayers!! The Lord has been faithful and He hears your prayers!! You are a part of this exciting faith endeavor of bringing the gospel to children and their families in Mallorca! I am available to answer any questions or if you would like more information on how to get involved in this work in Spain I would be more than happy to let you know what you can do. Thank you!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
God bless you!
- The School Project: Please pray for God’s guidance for all the decisions and regulations that we have to follow to start a Christian school in Spain. Also, pray for my role in the school, I have a greater administrative role in getting everything organized but also in assisting with managing the team.
- Transportation: I need the Lord’s direction about the right time to buy a car.
- Family: Please pray that the Lord would continue caring for everyone in my family. Also for the upcoming holidays away from each other (Christmas and New Year), everyone is telling me to be prepared because it can be difficult.
- Spiritual Life: To stay consistent in my personal time with the Lord and to be open to the direction of the Holy Spirit. That I would be strong under spiritual warfare and to be aware of the different forms that it may come in.
- Finances: For the Lord to continue to provide as He has done so far.
- Discipleship: For the Lord to continue providing opportunities to share with the girls at the church here in Spain and for my time with the girls that I have remained in touch with in the US and Mexico.