The last few months have been crazy and we are excited to say that we are here in Oaxaca City getting settled in our new home!!!
A lot has happened since our last update. Our house was broken into in December. Unfortunately Jon’s Mexican residency visa was in the wallet, along with his driver’s license. His license has been replaced but he’s still in the process of replacing his visa. More on that in a minute…
We had an amazing sending weekend at Calvary Chapel Rosarito where Jon was able to share the Word and our calling, plans, and prayer needs for our move to Oaxaca. We were SO blessed by the outpouring of love from our brothers and sisters there.
We also had an awesome going away party at Calvary San Juan which was so fun. It was a blessing to spend time talking to our friends while we ate together, laughed, and shared a bit of what’s next for us. Ended the night being prayed over by our California church family.
Such a huge blessing to have these two churches support this calling on our lives and send us out to share the gospel with the people of Oaxaca.
We also got to spend some time with Pastor Gregg and Vickie Seymour of Calvary Red Rock in Las Vegas. They are fellow church planters doing an amazing work in Las Vegas, so please keep them in your prayers.
In early January we headed up to Calvary Chapel Santa Barbara for their missions weekend. The highlight for me (Allison) was sharing about Oaxaca with the kiddos during each service. Jon let me take the ropes and it was hilarious having the kids telling all of their stories of bugs and critters after I shared some of our stories. Plus, try getting a room full of 5-12 year olds to pronounce Oaxaca…it’s awesome!
Fast forward and here we are living in Oaxaca City. Jonny, Noah, and I flew down 10 days before Jon and Armando arrived because Jon had to be in Tijuana to take care of his visa. Originally we were going to have a house ready for us when we got here, but that didn’t work out, so the boys and I spent time trying to find a house. Things kept falling through and it got pretty discouraging, but one night Jon found one on Facebook and set up a time for me to go see the house. The peace that I was hoping to feel in other houses, I felt in this house. It’s an amazing house, perfect for the beginning of a church plant. God is so good in showing us that He has everything under control and He was preparing this house to be our home.
It’s amazing to have all of #teamoaxaca here now, ready to build the team up and see what the Lord has in store. We are grateful for Meg and Obed who are committed to being a part of this church plant, and for Armando who has moved down here with us and is a huge asset to our team and a great brother.
- please pray for our visa renewals. They expire on February 7 and we are working on getting all of the paperwork turned in correctly before then. With Jon’s visa being stolen and me losing mine, there are added complications but we know God is in control.
- pray for continued team unity and growth. We plan on starting a bible study together soon along with some team training
- pray for opportunities for us to meet the people in our neighborhood and ways for us to minister to them and share the love of Jesus
- PLEASE pray for our spanish to grow and for us to use it even when we are insecure.
- we know that with us getting settled, the reality will start to hit us that we’re not near family and friends from “home” anymore so please pray for protection of our hearts, especially the boys.
- Praise the Lord for a place to call home in our new city
- we already have new and old friends here and nearby which has made this transition a lot smoother for all of us
Thank you for taking the time to read this. We love and miss everyone far, and are so excited for what’s to come here in this amazing city.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen Matthew 28:19-20
Jon, Allison, Jonny, Noah