A missions support dinner is a great tool for new and veteran missionaries. If you are a new missionary you might want to schedule a few smaller events at some friends houses or one large event in your churches fellowship hall to gather people together so that you can present (see developing a prevention) to them what the Lord has called you to. If you are a veteran missionary make sure to plan on scheduling one while you are home on furlough. Here is the typical outline of a dessert gathering:
- 30 minutes – Meet and greet and dinner
- 3-5 minutes – Welcome/opening prayer
- 20-25 minutes – Presentation – communicating your vision and what you will be ding on the mission field.
- 3-5 minutes – Financial ask. It is always a good idea to get a pastor or leader to do this part simply because it is easier to ask for money for another person then it is for yourself.
- 5-10 minutes – Prayer – this is a time to have people gather around you to lay hands on you and pray.
This is a great time to “kill many birds with one stone” but remember that it is the personal followup that really counts. People that support you do so because they have a relationship with you and because they believe in you.