SGWM is committing the month of April in praying for, Saudi Arabia. Please join us for praying.
Freedom of religion is unknown here. Within Saudi borders, the government denies recognition or protection of any religion other than Sunni Islam. The legal system is based on Islamic law and conversion to another religion is punishable by death if the accused does not recant. Non-Muslim public worship is prohibited and there are no public church buildings. Although the government recognizes the right of non-Muslims to worship privately, the religious police often do not and Christians are forced to worship underground. Apostates risk imprisonment, deportation, torture and even death. Family and friends of converts have been killed in what are termed, “Honor Killings.” Most Christians are poorly paid foreign workers who are vulnerable to violence because of their faith. Two Indian believers were imprisoned in January 2011 for ‘converting Muslims to Christianity’.
There is hope in Saudi Arabia and other persecuted countries as the ‘invisible’ underground church continues to grow as Christians continue to risk their lives for their faith and to bring the Gospel Message to others.
- Thank God for Christians showing a new boldness in sharing their faith
- Praise Him that the number of Christian converts from Islam is increasing
- For converts from Muslim backgrounds who risk being killed by their families.
- Pray for the protection of believers in Saudi Arabia who face imprisonment, torture and even execution. Pray that many more would be able to hear the gospel, read the Bible and meet together in safety.
- Pray that God would break open doorways into this country.